A taste from the islands, mon. This Caribbean beans and rice recipe compliment almost any dish, but especially spicy cuisine. The sweetness and the coconut flavor helps to balance spicy dishes.
Add tropical fruits such as pineapple chunks, diced mango or tangerine segments for a flavor boost.
Leftovers topped with a sprinkling of cinnamon and sugar make a fast and easy, delicious breakfast.
- 2 cups instant white rice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 13 oz. can coconut milk
- 1 15 oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, dark or light will work
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 small sweet onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- shredded coconut and fresh chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Combine all ingredients except rice and beans in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil and remove from heat
- Stir in rice and beans and cover.
- Let stand until liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff lightly with a fork. Stir in a little water if a thinner consistency is desired.
- Top with shredded coconut and cilantro, if desired. Serve immediately.
Smell the sea breeze and always remember…admire the fire!
What Ribs Ya Be Fixin’ Wit Dat Side Dish?
That table is going to look pretty naked with just a side dish. What would fill it and your guests would be a few slabs o’ ribs! Here’s some good ideas:
Kentucky Mutton Ribs
What’d Ya think?